Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Limited Color

Ran across some cool limited palette paintings that make me want to paint.

(this ones by Michael Chesley Johnson) there is no blue in this painting, he's pushing the cool Ivory Black to look blue with the orange clouds.


These ones are by Aaron Coberly using only ultramarine, burnt sienna, and white. Amazing!



and this one by Coberly using Ivory black, Yellow ochre, Venetian red and Permalba white.

Coberly's thread on concept art started me looking at these. His most common limited palette: ivory black, yellow ochre and venetian red. A gallery of his limited palette stuff. In his words "The most important aspects of painting to me are and in this order Composition, Drawing, Values and Color once you have those then you start to consider warms and cools, edges and fracturing space to focus the eye. So no problem just get those 7 ideas down and you got it. I will be spending the rest of my life working on them. One thing I like about the limited palette right now is I feel more free working on warms, cools, edges and fracturing space." He says he uses Cremnitz white (lead, thick and heavy)not as strong as titanium so won't kill saturation. Was using Daniel Smith traditional painting Medium but switched back to Gamblins Gamasol because it's faster and easier to handle.

*edit just read about the "Velazquez Palette" burnt sienna for red, yellow ochre, black (for blue, lamp black maybe)and white. I know you can get a green from yellow and black, but this is hard core limited, have to try it when I get back to painting.

2 comments:

David Bernal said...

Awesome!! thanks 4 posting :)

Dhar said...

Haven't been here in a while. Awesome find Alonso! Thanks.