Wednesday, May 4, 2011

John Kassab - Sound Design - Lost thing



a really heartbreaking moment for me happened during the mix when a lot of the sound fx we created for the utopian sequence was replaced with the music and I guess for me I guess it was the first time I ever experienced anything where you spend so much time developing something to then see it end up on the cutting room floor. But it wan't until I heard a quote, actually that night, about a director who said that you need to be prepared to sacrifice your best shots to make your best film, and I thought about the amount of work that goes into creating a shot or even a scene and then to just cut it for the benefit of the film, really allowed me to move forwards as a sound designer where now I see the film and I understand that it was an emotional moment and the sounds were all too mechanical and as flavorsome as they were, and as hard work as they were to develop, we needed them there as options but they weren't the finished film, and what works now is quite beautiful and I think has moved a lot of people including myself


* found @ onanimation

No comments: